Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Modesty and the standards of the world

What is modesty?  Who defines it?  How do you practice it?

Well...for one thing, modesty isn't what it used to be.  I'm not saying that you should run around draped entirely with sackcloth and baggy clothes.  I'm saying that people look at other more immodest people for their standards instead of looking at the Bible.  I find myself comparing the way I dress with other teens my age and think that I don't look like they do, so I'm OK.  Well, it's not OK.  WE shouldn't look at others and base our standards from what we see on them.  We should see what God has to say about the matter.

God defines modesty in 1Timothy 2:9.  It basically says that we should dress nicely and look go0d, but that we should not flaunt (Show off) ourselves.  We should not want to draw unneeded attention to ourselves.

Practicing modesty can be a very hard thing for a young woman.  I, at times have a hard time with things of this sort.  Sometimes we feel insecure and feel that we have to prove to others that we can shine and that we are beautiful.  Its not bad to be beautiful or to have your time to shine...but sometimes we want to shine in the wrong ways.  Go loves us and wants us to be confident in who we are, but he also wants the best for us.  He wants us to lean on him and put our insecurities in him.  Like I said earlier, being modest doesn't mean walking around in rags.  Modesty is of an inner beauty, it shines from the inside out and will catch the eye of the right type of man that a good Christian woman would want to marry.  It doesn't draw the many eyes of the many men that would be unhealthy people to be around.  Modesty shows that you are well grounded and that you care about what others see when they look at you and that you want them to see an upstanding, Godly woman.  It shows a strong character and a pure hear.  Any young Christ-like man would rather walk alongside a woman that he knew was not going to go and flaunt herself to other men and for all to see, than beside on that does.  You may not be at an age to think of such things as marriage (I'd start thinking now :) it is good to have the right Biblical mindset before you get married) but modesty is something that can we started right now in your walk :)

9 comments:

  1. Wow. Great post! And totally true! You like took the words right out of my mouth! Okay, this is really weird, one of my girl youth leaders talked to a bunch of us girls about modesty and brought up the verse 1 Tim 2:9! AND a week before she talked about it I read that! So that is the third time I have heard this verse being brought up in about two weeks! Very cool how God works.
    Um...Just thought I would tell you that for the verse you have 2 Tim. Instead of 1 Tim :( Some might get confused if they want to look the verse up :) Just thought I would let you know!
    Great post! And a good reminder for every girl! God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for pointing that out! I definitely meant 1 Timothy, but I typed a 2...Ug, me and my busy brain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha that's fine :) I just thought I would let you know :P I know! I ALWAYS do things like that :) So you're not alone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! It is amazing and so true. We not only have to be modest on the outside, but have a heart that is modest. And thank you so much for all the sweet comments on my blog! They really encouraged me.

    May God bless you for your kindness to me,

    In Christ,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Grace, I would say that modesty comes from the heart :) And when it comes from the heart it is a true and genuine beauty that none other can match, shining from the inside out :)

    You welcome Grace :) I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been deeply looking into modesty and what it really means. And I am thinking that even changing my wardrobe may be something that I should think about if I am truly wanting my light to shine as a Christian. You see, if we all look like the world then what difference are we going to make? If we stand up and look like we mean it and act like we mean it, then we are going to turn peoples heads, not so they may look at our physical appearance but see that we are not like all the rest and that we must stand behind something greater than just nonsense. Do you understand my ramblings?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! Thanks for the reminder, it really touched me! :)

    ReplyDelete