Thursday, November 13, 2014

Barricade of the Mind

Have you ever stood and thought about something for way longer than you really needed to? Have you ever super hyper-analyzed something to the point that there seems to be nothing more to explore? Have you ever heard something and examined it from every humanly possible angle?

Why is it that logic is the basis of how we think about God? Why do we stuff Him into a box? Why do we place "limits" on what He can do?

I thought about it this morning as I traipsed around the field.

I take God and fit Him into my life, instead of letting Him take me and fit me into His life. I take His word and try to cram it into the walls of my finite mind. I think about possibilities and I say, "Well, that couldn't happen because of this, that, etc..." when truly, God can do anything.

I prayed, asking Christ to break the barriers of my mind and to work through the Spirit, not through any thought or bound of my own. I asked the Holy Spirit to break the chains that keep me from praying bold prayers and expecting great things from a great God. I asked for a trust, hope, joy, and peace, that fully leans on the faith that is my foundation, rather than leaning on what I think or find to be correct or believable. I asked that the Spirit would push aside all doubts and fears, allowing me to step forward and run hard after Christ. Sometimes when we think, we never act because (in our minds) it (whatever we are supposing to accomplish) is impossible. Only if we could act upon the prompting of the Spirit, and think about it later. Because we cannot comprehend God fully, we cannot comprehend His actions and abilities fully either.

There are so many ways I need to learn to let go and "free fall" into His arms. I know (deep down) that He will always be there. I also know that He is prompting, leading, and teaching me to lean on Him. Sometimes leaning on Him means letting go of me

If you are in a position where you are thinking through a big decision, say, to go to college or to stay at home, what college to go to, buy that car or not to buy that car, invest in this person or not to invest in this person, start a business venture or not, buy this house or that one, move miles away or stay where you are at, start a church or not to start a church, take this job or that one...and the list goes on.

I don't know what you are going through, I don't know what your thought process is. I don't know what you have analyzed and what you have not. I don't know how you have chosen to make this decision, but I do know that you could be over thinking it. Maybe "free-falling" is exactly what God wants you to do! Maybe Christ wants you to take a leap of faith and say, "Lord, I want to honor you. I believe this is what You have for me even though there are so many "what if's" and "maybe's". I know that I can place it on your shoulders." Please, don't jump if you feel God screaming "no"! Don't do something stupid like, "Well, I'm going to take this super risky business venture and possibly lose everything because maybe God is in it..." Do put some thought into it, but don't let your mind tell you that it is impossible, even if it seems that way. God can do anything. He wants you to place the trust in Him and He wants you to have faith outside of what logic would offer.

We all have this barrier in our minds that seems to separate what we see, what we believe, and what faith does. Consider asking God to break down this barricade of the mind. If we all stopped putting our God in a box, can you imagine what faith would begin to grow among us??

(I found this post way back in my drafts...I though it might be worthy of publishing)


No comments:

Post a Comment