Saturday, July 6, 2013

So much like the World

          Recently I was talking with a group of friends about church and the media culture that surrounds us. One of my friends made a point about how the church often uses media to draw people in. Many times when churches do this, they are compromising. Much of the media now-a-days is full of worldly and (quite often) inappropriate material.
          What do y'all think about this subject? What are your views on how the church uses modern technology and culture?
          I can see where the human mentality would be to follow the pack and do what everybody else is doing. Why is this? Why is it that we think we will attract any more attention to Christ by using distractions? Personally, I don't see where Christ would be proud of a tactic that uses worldly attractions and lusts to draw people into (what should be) His house.
          As Christians we are not trying to distance ourselves from the world, but draw as close to Christ as humanly possible while we are in the world. When one draws near to Christ they will find that it is easier to live in and not of the world. If you can't tell the difference between the "Saved" and "Unsaved" what is the point? People ask me why they would want to be a Christian if they look so much like the world. It's a hard question to answer. Why do God's people look so much like the world they are trying to change?
          I look about me and find it hard to pick out my kin, fellow worshipers in Christ. We are brothers and sisters in Christ, therefore we should all be striving towards the glorification of Christ. How does playing a funny (or possibly crude) video in church glorify God?
          What are we, as Christians, striving for? To be as much like the world as possible without quite crossing the line? To draw people in by the hundreds and preach to them? What is our goal? Tell me, please. Someone tell me why the church was created. SOMEONE TELL ME WHY WE LOOK SO MUCH LIKE THE WORLD. Legalism is not my goal. I hate to think we all should be the same. We were all created by God with a PURPOSE. He wants us to follow his word, his steps, and his leading to the same goal.

Much Love,

~Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment