Saturday, March 21, 2015

The Great Distraction

My church is going through a study called "Behold Your God". It has been really good so far. There have been a few things that really strike me. One of which raises the question how much Christians care about the person and character of Christ. How much do we study and seek to know the one we are trying to imitate? How often do we find it easier to talk about God and then we seem to get bashful when we start talking about Christ. Or maybe we find it easy to study Gods love, His holiness and all those attributes and somehow we clam up when it is time to study the person of Jesus Christ. Don't you feel this in your heart? Don't you have this odd feeling as if it has to be boring to study Jesus? 

I am ashamed to admit it, but I feel a twinge of this. I've got to ask myself how I can possibly be this way. How can I not want to study and know the one I claim to be following?

It's almost like me wanting all the good things that my husband can give me like his love, his protection, his provision, and his conversation, and me saying, "But I don't want you." Where really, I feel about him that all I want is him. I don't care if we have to go live in a shack, I want to be with him because I love him and I want him. All the stuff he brings with him is good and all, but it isn't what makes me like him so much. Shouldn't God be this way to us? Shouldn't Jesus be the one that we are so enthralled with? Shouldn't we long for him instead of what he can give us?

I feel like this nation is full of Christians who are named after a man they don't really know and don't really have a desire to know. They can watch Christian movies and read Christian romance novels, but they can't sit down and study scripture to figure out who this person they say they live for is. 

How many Christians do you know that have an obsession with their Creator? How many believers have you seen who are so distracted with Christ that the world is not their top priority? How many people who say they walk the narrow way actually do what is unnatural to the flesh and deny themselves the distractions of the world?

These questions are hard and they prick my heart because I realize how much I am unlike every one of these people. I see how distracted I am by everything around me. Somehow I have let The Greatest Prize fall to the bottom of my list. I have not made Him my Great Distraction when He should be. 

I am ever learning and ever posing these questions to myself and to the ones who need to hear them. Please do not hear judgment in my tone, but listen to a heart that beaks for those who don't have the truth and who don't have a grasp on The Greatest Prize. Christ is the one who should distract us. He is the one we should be allowing to infiltrate every part of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment