Thursday, July 24, 2014

Our God Isn't A Vending Machine Y'all

Have you ever sat down in the quiet of the morning and listened, I mean, really listened for God's voice? Have you ever been able to escape the noise and the busy of the day just to bask in His presence and praise His holy name? Have you put aside time to make this happen?

So many times a day I breathe a prayer asking God for something. Well....how many times a day do I expect Him to do great things? How many times a day do I fall on my knees and give Him my full attention, my heart and soul? How many times a day do I actually listen for His answer?

Oftentimes frustration and anger can come out of many prayers prayed in a hurried thoughtless manner. Why should the God of the Universe answer me if I am treating Him like a vending machine? In goes a dollar prayer, and out comes a package of happiness, joy and peace. And sometimes the package gets stuck and no mater how many dollars you throw into the thing, what you've asked for just won't come out.

News flash #1 Our God isn't a vending machine y'all.

He is holy. He is sovereign. He is truth. He is light. He is life. He is grace. He is mercy. He is righteous wrath. He is redemption. He is love. 

Because our God is who He is (see notes above), it just doesn't cut it to throw prayers at Him like spendable money. He is able and He does answer prayers, but why should He answer yours? *What makes you think that He wants to give you good things? *Why do you think He listens when you have little time to give to Him?

Listen to what Scripture says about prayer:

"Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you." Mark 11:24 (NASB)

"Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of His disciples said to Him, 'Lord, teach us how to pray...'" Luke 11:1 (ESV)

"Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping. The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord accepts my prayer." Psalm 6:8-9 (ESV)

"The Lord is far from the wicked, but He hears the prayer of the righteous." Proverbs 15:29 (ESV)

"If you them, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!" Matthew 7:11

I could go on and on. There is so much in the bible that points to prayer, the attitude of it, the importance of it, and how much God's servants prayed.

*God wants to give you good gifts
*He listens to your prayers

News Flash #2 Our God isn't a child.

In biblical times, prayer was communicating with the Creator. It wasn't half heatedly mouthing a prayer while driving down the street, talking on the phone with the radio blaring. For one thing, don't do that! It isn't safe! Also, it isn't showing God the respect He deserves. He is a holy God, not your younger sibling. He deserves more than a pat on the head or a few short words to "make him feel good." If we are being honest and serious with our Lord, we will treat Him with respect and honor as we take time out of our busy schedules just to spend alone time with Him.

We do pray a lot, I am sure, but how often do we pray just to be with our Lord? When we pray to ask something of our God, how many times do we actually expect Him to do great things? How often do we really know that He is hearing us? When we do drop to our knees are we praying in belief or in doubt?

We have so many plans and so much on our hearts and minds. Often it is hard to see through the fog and hear above the noise. It is plain difficult to discern His voice in the midst of life's clatter.

Yet....we must. He is our breath. He is our sustainer.  He is the one we should be most ready to run to in the weary days, in the damp of the evening, in the cool of the morning. He is the one who gives life, breath, and rest. Why do we run to everything but Him?

Matthew 11:28-30 says, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your soul. For My yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Notice the red lettering. My Lord spoke these words and He meant them. He was beckoning to all of us. He was saying, "Come to Me, child. Find rest in Me."

At the end of a long and busy day, don't just drop into bed and half pray, half fall asleep. Kneel down (I've got to do this so I don't fall asleep) and plead with Him. Pour out your heart. Give it all to Him. Don't let this nagging world turn your eyes from Jesus.

Please don't take this post wrongly, friend. I am not saying that a quick prayer in the car is a bad thing. In fact, I encourage you to lead a praying life where quick prayers are filling up your day with praises and requests, but at the same time I hope that a special time be set aside where you can be alone with your Lord. A time where thanksgiving and honor can be bestowed upon the Almighty.

Also, pray with an expectant heart. Don't cast your prayers at God like they are going to bounce back at you. Seriously; believe and you will receive. Pray as if you knew something great were going to happen. Pray like you expect an answer. Pray and listen. When you listen you may just hear that 'still small voice' beckoning to you. Don't give up my friend. There is always hope. Revive your prayer life and watch as your heart begins to blossom in Him.

Blessings Always,

Rachel







1 comment:

  1. You are right. I'm guilty of this as well. Certainly something to think about.

    ReplyDelete